User Feedback Solid Base App

Feedback #1

Hey guys,

Please see below my first feedback from testing. It is not yet in a form such that it can be in gitlab, as I think we need to discuss before making a user story. I looked at the gitlab boar and only looked at issues which are tagged as “user story” and “needs review”. There were some “needs review” (e.g. #30 and #36) that were to technical that I could not test it. I looked at Issue #3 and #29 Below is a collection of suggestions (S), summary of my understandings and questions (Q) and Bugs (B) mainly with regard to #29 (Methods for navigating through budgetline levels of abstraction)

S - For testing: Add Text with how to login on the config page for the people to be able to start quickly.

B? - Next.app.solidbase.info does not have the Load data button on the config view like app.solidbase.info. Is that intentionally?

Q - What do you mean with the button “toggle notes”

Q- Granularity and visualization: At the moment there is one “master” activity (e.g. Solawi). All expenses in any activities (also the lower order activities) are shown in the graph of farm.
I can add expenses and associate them to an activity and include them in other expenses. It is possible to add an expense from a higher level activity to an expense of a lower lever activity. Is this all intended that way? Ideally I want to see higher level expenses/processes with the lower level proceses/expenses only shown when “zooming” in. Right?

Q- Activities can be focused. Expenses cannot be focused/visualized but the toggle button shows a list of whats included, right?

Q- All expenses associated to this activity are shown. Not the classification of the lower order activities, right?

Q- Activities: can be focused on. Expenses are associated to activity. Visualization of activity includes all associated expenses even if from lower order activities, right?

S - Edit activity/expense: a new field is there “select class”. Not sure what class means? It is not defined when adding a new activity/expense. It seems to be the same as “Included in costs”. I would chose one. “Included in” sounds more intuitive to me.

S - Idea: differentiate between expenses directly associated to activity (where you can edit the number directly) and expenses that come from lower order activities.
S- Idea: Visual differentiation between activities and expenses. AT the moment I can only tell from the button “edit expense/activity”

B - Bug?!: If I don’t set an amount the first time when I create an expense, then there is no option to do so later. The edit field does not appear.

Q/S - Higher order expenses can only be used as “class”/”included in” Option once the lower order expense is saved. Then it is possible to chose other “classes”. This is a bit confusing. Should not all available expenses be in the drop down list?

S - I can load and save budgets perfectly. I can create my own and save it. However, if I don’t save and say “Reset Budget” it might be good to have a message telling me what I am about to do and that there had been changes that will be discarded if I proceed. Maybe the “Reset Budget” Button should rather be “New Budget” and on the main view along with load and save?

Q- Where can I add/edit the number of members?

Q- What about income? There might be income included from other income sources such as selling on markets. Or credits granted, Tax reimbursements.
Q- What about calculating fields such as taxes?

Hi Caro,

no prob to talk in english, i’d like to keep everything open, and these
tests would be also interesting for our european partners in the discourse. Generally we
should do as much as possible in english.

Thank you for your detailed tests! In the meanwhile I reworked the UI
quite a lot: https://lab.allmende.io/solidbase/solidbase/issues/35 Can
you already run the tests locally or do you need a deployed version?

Regarding your comments:

S - For testing: Add Text with how to login on the config page for the
people to be able to start quickly.

That’ll fit quite well into the issue Gualter is working on:

B? - Next.app.solidbase.info does not have the Load data button on the
config view like app.solidbase.info. Is that intentionally?

Yes, the ‘load’ button moved to chart.vue and as first budget the
latest saved one is loaded automatically.

Q - What do you mean with the button “toggle notes”

I’ve implemented MarkDown notes on expenses and activities (this means
also images can be embedded relatively easily). These can be toggled by
this switch.

Q- Granularity and visualization: At the moment there is one “master”
activity (e.g. Solawi). All expenses in any activities (also the
lower order activities) are shown in the graph of farm.

I can add expenses and associate them to an activity and include them
in other expenses. It is possible to add an expense from a higher
level activity to an expense of a lower lever activity. Is this all
intended that way? Ideally I want to see higher level
expenses/processes with the lower level proceses/expenses only shown
when “zooming” in. Right?

Yes, currently the data graph is a strict tree, with always only one
ascendant. The highest / most abstract activity equals to the SFS.
Here the naming might become more simplified as there is a difference
between the budget name and the top level process. Actually these
could be the same…

Q- Activities can be focused. Expenses cannot be focused/visualized
but the toggle button shows a list of whats included, right?

Yes, you always see the expenses belonging to the currently focussed
process. I rewrote toggle details button functionality completely
lately, now only the names, annual percentage and the corresponding
process are displayed in the table.

Q- All expenses associated to this activity are shown. Not the
classification of the lower order activities, right?

I haven’t worked much on classifications yet. Despite they are
configurable they don’t have any functionality yet.

Q- Activities: can be focused on. Expenses are associated to activity.
Visualization of activity includes all associated expenses even if
from lower order activities, right?

Yes, lower order expenses are passed on to the next activity. If on
this level already exist a expense with the same name they are
automatically combined.

S - Edit activity/expense: a new field is there “select class”. Not
sure what class means? It is not defined when adding a new
activity/expense. It seems to be the same as “Included in costs”. I
would chose one. “Included in” sounds more intuitive to me.

The classifications of expenses shall be used to link the explanatory
texts to these. Including one cost into another, is combining these two
under one name. So seeds can include poppy seeds and sunflower seeds,
eg.

S - Idea: differentiate between expenses directly associated to
activity (where you can edit the number directly) and expenses that
come from lower order activities.

I actually like to see the expenses next to each other, as they are
equally important, although they arise on different levels. How would
you imagine such a differentiation?

S- Idea: Visual differentiation between activities and expenses. AT
the moment I can only tell from the button “edit expense/activity”

Good idea. I want this also more colorful. I’d like to define fixed
colors per expense (maybe fixed color for expense classes, and
automatic derivations from this for expenses). Activities might stay
colorless. If you have more ideas on that please add to

B - Bug?!: If I don’t set an amount the first time when I create an
expense, then there is no option to do so later. The edit field does
not appear.

Yay, that’s a bug. Thank you!

Q/S - Higher order expenses can only be used as “class”/”included in”
Option once the lower order expense is saved. Then it is possible to
chose other “classes”. This is a bit confusing. Should not all
available expenses be in the drop down list?

I think here the concept of class and included expense is not clear.
It’s actually a bug that the class cannot be set on creation time and
it’s also not fine that the expenses can only be included into other
expenses at creation time.

S - I can load and save budgets perfectly. I can create my own and
save it. However, if I don’t save and say “Reset Budget” it might be
good to have a message telling me what I am about to do and that
there had been changes that will be discarded if I proceed. Maybe the
“Reset Budget” Button should rather be “New Budget” and on the main
view along with load and save?

Yes, good idea. Do you have an idea what to do with the delete button?
Actually it is also wrong in load.

Q- Where can I add/edit the number of members?

With Edit Budget - Might be better named.

Q- What about income? There might be income included from other income
sources such as selling on markets. Or credits granted, Tax
reimbursements.

Yay, for that we might create a user story.

Q- What about calculating fields such as taxes?

Taxes come in various forms, on all levels of abstraction. Might also
be a user story. I would more prioritize the possibility to map
factors. So that I can say 1 polytunnel costs this, and 1ha
carrots that. Also the price and amount of working hours could be done
by that.

I’ve only drafted the topics you mentioned as issues, feel free to
clarify them.

I do need a deployed version, sorry!

This is the monthly view, right? I thought from your conversation that it is already deployed. But I can’t find it. Can you let me know how to find it or if it is not yet deployed? Thanks a mil!

Perfect, fits nicely there!

Ahhh, so does that mean that the “classification of expenses” should be defined at the beginning, before going into more granular expenses and before putting in the numbers? Is the “class” a budget line itselve? Or where do we define “class”? And where is the class visualized?

Maybe just sorting would be enough. They are all equally important but from a user perspective they invoke different actions. One can be edited directly and the other one can only be edited after clicking on Toggle details. So it looks a bit confusing.

The same way as you added the “Load” button on the Chart view, I would add a Button “Delete” and “New”. Maybe there is a visual option to cluster those Buttons that belong to the Budget together. “Edit Budget” is not really intuitive as all you do on the chart page is editing the budget.i.e. adding activities and expenses. The “Edit Budget” allows to edit the number of members (found it ;)) . What about a menue “Budget” and then we have “Load”, “Save”, “Delete”, “New” and "Settings "(Settings = Edit Budget).

I am not sure if multiplication works that easy. I believe that 2 ha carrots cost less than 2 times 1ha carrots. But yes, it would be nice to have the possibility to show what impact scaling would have! Sounds like a rather complicated user story but very useful!

Thanks!

Feedback #2

Comment: Loading time seems long. When I tried to show the app at the Frühjahrstagung, it would not load at all (Network wasn’t very good though). But at home it also takes a couple of seconds for the chart to laod. I know it is not long, but in the times of fast internet, I know that speed does matter to keep users interested.

Bug/Q : When I am focussed on a lower order activity an click “Edit expense” and then “save” I get back to the higher order activity view. As a user, I would like to stay focused on the activity I was in already.

Q/S: The Button “Edit Expense” shows different options depending on which level it is clicked on. It is not quite clear when which option is shown. Also it seems that expenses are not clearly identifyable. If I create an expense in a lower order activity, it is shown in a higher order activity under the same name. However, I understand that it is not the same. And it lead to something confusing like this: (From activity 2 a comes Expense 2 Activity 2a and this expense has either 55 or 170 Euro value ?!)

From what I observe, it looks as follows: When I create an expense for a lower activity a new expense is automatically created in the higher order activity with the same name. I can edit this new expense and I can edit the original expense when I click on toggle details. I am wondering if this is intentionally and does that make sense?

It’s a web app, it takes some seconds to load. A load progress bar would be nice:

As solid is in rapid development, some code with which we started became already deprecated now:

Have a look at the new table design on next.app.allmende.io That’s way less confusing.

Yes, that’s intentional. On the more astract level the expense becomes automatically an expense category if none already exists with that name. Technically it is included in a new expense with the original name. If you create expenses with the same name in different activities, on a higher level they got automatically combined.

Thanx for all the input and ideas! Maybe we can work together on a follow up user story for

Sometimes the app doesn’t refresh from the browser cache. Press F5 or ctrl-r in this case. On next.app.solidbase.info you find the latest version displaying a tabular monthly view. (Fix for null management is not yet merged.)

A traditional drop down menu is out of fashion with buefy, but grouping those button somewhere more at the top would be nice: